To help PCNs in getting started, this section outlines:
- What local data is available, and where you can find support
- Names and contact details for key local colleagues that can help PCN’s in delivering the DES specification
- Additional resources in relation to Early Diagnosis of Cancer
Resources for getting started
Access resources for getting started with the DES:
CRUK data dashboard
Tomas Edge (CRUK facilitator) demonstrates the functions of the CRUK data dashboard and outlines how CRUK can support practices and PCNs to look at their local data in relation to the 2020/21 DES.
CRUK data packs
Your local CRUK facilitator can create a data pack specific to PCN; these are based on the data available on the CRUK dashboard and an example is below.
To request a CRUK data pack for your PCN, please contact your local CRUK facilitator via firstname.lastname@example.org .
Cheshire and Merseyside CRUK facilitators
Cancer Research UK Facilitator programme supports healthcare professionals and organisations to improve prevention and early diagnosis with free, tailored practical support.
Facilitators can work as a long-term partner to your organisation, providing face-to-face support and including:
- Helping you to understand your local cancer data and how the care you provide compares to other areas
- Introducing a variety of early diagnosis tools and resources
- Providing training for clinical and non-clinical staff on key topics such as screening programmes and referral guidelines
- Helping you to carry out local audits of the care provided to people with cancer
- Helping you to find solutions to issues within your organisation and area, by facilitating local action planning
- Sharing best practice and innovative solutions trialled by other areas
Please contact email@example.com to find out how we can support you in delivering the 2020/21 DES specification.
Your CCG GP Cancer Lead will be able to offer support and advice relating to early cancer diagnosis as well as sign-posting to local work/initiatives that can support the delivery of the cancer DES for your PCN. Your CCG can provide you with their details.
Cancer Research Professional Hub
CRUK have developed a professional hub with a wealth of resources and information relating to screening and early diagnosis of cancer during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Macmillan screening and early diagnosis quality toolkits
Both toolkits (modules) contain a suggested structure and activities that you can undertake, along with ideas for improvement and resources, to support your changes to meet the requirements of both the Cancer 2020/21 DES specification and Cancer QOF QI domain.
An online education platform containing numerous courses on early diagnosis of cancers that are freely available to all healthcare staff working in primary care.
Gateway C courses are RCGP accredited, worth CPD points, and have been proven in pilots to increase healthcare worker confidence in diagnosis and high-quality referral of patients who could have early signs and symptoms of cancer.
They closely follow related guidance, and have been shown to improve healthcare staff ability to follow this guidance e.g. NICE Guideline 12. Consider promoting this resource to all patient-facing staff in your practice(s).